designing new battleships, the U.S. Navy shortly after the First World War began, and the development of new 406-mm (16-inch) guns for them. Washington Conference in 1921, set a limit on the number of American battleships, put an end to those plans, and as a result of the sailors remained as an inheritance several 406-mm guns. In the end, they were transferred to the U.S. Army for use as a coastal guns. Unfortunately, due to lack of funding the installation of these guns is very slow, yet by 1939 they controlled the approaches to such major cities and naval bases, like Pearl Harbor, San Francisco and New York. During the Second World War, it was found a few 406-mm coastal batteries to protect Boston, San Diego and New Orleans.
In the late 1940s, all these coastal fortifications were disarmed as unnecessary, of these guns survived only one, located at Aberdeen Proving Ground near Baltimore.