| M110 SASS |
Sniper Rifle M110 SASS (SASS - Semi-Automatic Sniper System - semi-automatic (self-loading) sniper system), the designation of the manufacturer SR-M110 SASS, developed by CAS for the U.S. Army in accordance with the requirements of the new semi-automatic sniper system SASS 7.62 formulated a research center, development and design of small arms U.S. Army - US Army ARDEC (Armaments Research, Development & Engineering Center). These requirements imply a sniper weapon system with an effective range engage manpower to 1000 m, the ability to use new sniper ammo M118LR and cartridge with armor-piercing bullet M993 AR (AP - Armor Piercing - piercing).
With an installed muffler
In addition, the requirements to the level of reliability of the system SASS (Failure Definition and Scoring Criteria - FDSC), which, inter alia, to the following reliability indices:
- under normal conditions (military training) using fluorescent optical sight (it is assumed that in this configuration, the reliability of the whole system does not affect the probability of failure factor optoelectronic night sight), the probability of the normal functioning of the system without a critical failure , irremovable by hand (in American terminology Essential Function Failures - EFFs), when shooting of 300 rounds (three basic ammunition) shall be not less than 90% (optimal - 98%);
| Caliber, mm || 7.62x51 NATO |
| Weight empty, kg || 7.26 |
| Length mm || 1187 - 1200 |
| Barrel length, mm || 508 |
| Sighting range |
| 1000 |
| Capacity, |
| 10, 20 |
- in combat, using fluorescent optical sight, the probability of failure-free operation type EFFs should be at shooting of 100 rounds (one base ammunition) at least 90% (optimal - 98%).
contract to develop and manufacture M110 SASS was concluded with CAS on the basis of competitive tests of prototypes presented in September 2005. Command of the U.S. Army had planned to purchase 4492 units of this weapon until 2009. It was assumed that this rifle will complement and replace the M24 sniper shopping.
Overall M110 SASS structurally similar to the previous model for military purposes by the same company - MK11 mod.0 and in fact it is an improved modification. The main differences from the first sample of the second are as follows:
- the first set with a two-stage trigger descent (Two Stage Trigger), which allows you to achieve greater accuracy of fire due to the "diversity" efforts of pulling the trigger on two stages: the first has a relatively low resistance mechanism and trigger springs (in the produced by CAS, this step takes about 1/8 inch (3.1 mm) stroke length of the trigger), the second is characterized by an increase in drag force on a very short section of stroke immediately before the shutter (shot) that, according to U.S. experts, makes the descent both fairly quick point shot with predictable and positive effect on the accuracy of the shot;
silencer to M110 SASS
- M110 SASS rifle initially have a protective outer coating (camouflage) sand color (consider the experience of American snipers who often cover their arms protective (camouflage) color, which is often used cans of paint-spray guns, while the coating is in contrast industrial way of the damage is not persistent, and often it has to be renewed);
- applied better design forend with rail guidance - set type handguard URX, while placed inside a tubular heat shield barrel;
- the upper end of the front portion of the guide rail on the shank type M1913 is integral with its integrated design folding front sight, and, accordingly, of the removable mechanical sighting devices excluded front rack with front sight, which is installed on the MK11 mod.0 rail assembly venting;
When using the
- butt is adjustable in length, which on it from the side (the window side ejection port) is a locking mechanism movable butt plate;
- on the butt (on both sides) there are two additional sling for a gun belt near the site of its attachment to the receiver;
- in the arm for loading channel is made for removal (etching) of residual propellant gases that accumulate when using silencer in it, as well as in the trunk and the vent system, the channel is configured so that the residual powder gases vented to the side face of the arrow ;
| M110 SASS |
- an optical sight bracket applied monolithic type (it is believed that monolithic brackets, despite the higher cost, allow you to set the sight more accurately, without errors in the alignment of the two clamping rings for the central tube of the sight, which can occur when using two mounts separate brackets) (MK11 mod.0 used to mount consisting of two brackets).
rifle equipped with a telescopic sight Leupold Mark 43-10X LR / T, military designation - HM151. The sight has a variable magnification 3-10X reticle type Mil-Dot with adjustable backlight aiming mark. For firing in the dark using night sight AN/PVS-17, which is mounted on the guide rail type before day optical sight without dismantling the last.
As mod.0 MK11 rifle M110 SASS completed silencer.
M110 SASS rifle comes complete with a transport container, which houses:
Container for transporting
- shaped cells in the upper detachable pallet: M110 SASS rifle with telescopic sights set day, night sight, bipod, accessories for cleaning weapons (in separate cover), one magazine for 20 rounds;
- shaped cells in the lower tray: tools for service rifle, gun belt, muffler, pouches for shops, four 20-cartridge magazine, manual;
- in a separate section in the lower right corner of the shipping container: case for additional equipment and accessories;
- attached to the lid of the container folding sniper mat-mat equipment downrange (used sniper mat-mat produced by "Eagle Industries" model HSRC (Hybrid Shooting Mat and Rifle Case)) - which also serves as a cover for transporting rifles for what he has inside fasteners, fixing the weapon while it is equipped with shoulder straps for carrying;
- also located in the container soft rifle carrying case protective arms and marching for optical sight and the muzzle of the barrel.